You cannot claim if you resign from your job, but you can claim if you were on a contract that ended – as long as the employer terminated your services. In order to claim benefits, you also have to register as a work seeker with the Department of Labour
You cannot claim UIF under the following circumstances:
- If you were suspended from your job because you committed fraud;
- If you quit your job;
- If you refused training or advice;
- If you already qualify for a benefit from an unemployment fund under the Labour Relations Act; and
- If you are receiving benefits from any other scheme established by the Labour Relations Act.
In simple terms, UIF is available to employees who have involuntarily lost their job and income.
There is a difference between being unemployed and being retired. In the case of early retirement, it is important to remember that you voluntarily left your job and will, presumably, receive retirement benefits by way of an annuity, whether a guaranteed or living annuity, unless you elect to defer your retirement from the fund until a later date.
The fact that you voluntarily leave your job, will mean that no UIF benefit will be available to you.
If, during your working life you never claim for UIF – either because you’ve not elected to do so, or because you have never qualified for UIF benefits in terms of the principles of the Unemployment Insurance Act – then no benefit will be due to you and the contributions made during your period(s) of employment will not be due to you either.
More Information on UIF
- Can I claim UIF online?
- Check UIF Status
- What is the maximum UIF payment?
- When can you claim UIF?
- Can I claim UIF if I resigned?
- Who must pay UIF?
- How long does UIF take to pay out after signing?
- Does UIF pay lump sum?
- Do directors pay UIF?
- Why is my UIF claim rejected?
- Can I claim UIF if I retire South Africa?
- Are you allowed to resign with immediate effect?
- Can I claim UIF if my husband died?
- How much UIF will I receive?
- Is UIF taxable?
- Is UIF calculated on gross or basic salary?
- How long does maternity benefit take to process?
- How many months does UIF pay for maternity leave?
- How is UIF calculated?
- What happens to my UIF contributions if I resign?
- What forms are needed to claim UIF?
- How do I register for UIF?
- What is the retirement age in South Africa?
- Does UIF expire?
- Is UIF calculated before or after tax?
- Is UIF paid on overtime?
- Does bonus have UIF?
- When should I apply for maternity pay?
- How does maternity leave pay work?
- Can I claim UIF after 2 years?