Workers on maternity leave have the right to claim from the UIF. Workers must apply and will be paid at the labour centre of their choice.
The Unemployment Insurance Act and Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act apply to all employers and workers, but not to –
- workers working less than 24 hours a month for an employer;
- public servants;
- foreigners working on contract;
- workers who get a monthly State (old age) pension; or
- workers who only earn commission.
Domestic employers and their workers are included under the Act since 1 April 2003.
Who can claim?
You cannot claim if you –
- get benefits from –
- the Compensation Fund for an occupational injury or disease; or
- any other unemployment fund; or
- have been suspended from claiming because of fraud.
You can claim if you are on maternity leave. Based on legislation in Section 14, Section 24, Section 36, of the Unemployment Insurance Act
When must I claim?
Workers must apply at least 8 weeks before their child is born. Based on Legislation in Section 25 of the Unemployment Insurance Act
How long can I claim for?
Workers can claim for 17 weeks. Workers who miscarry in the third trimester or have a stillborn child can claim for six weeks. Based on Legislation in Section 24, of the Unemployment Insurance Act
How do I claim?
Workers must fill in the application forms and, together with other required documents, hand it in at a labour centre.
How will I be paid?
Benefit payments can be collected from a labour centre of your choice. Based on legislation in Section 23, of the Unemployment Insurance Act
No tax is payable on the benefits. Based on Legislation in Section 34 of the Unemployment Insurance Act
If you get more money than you should, you must pay back the extra money. Based on Legislation in Section 35, of the Unemployment Insurance Act
More Information on UIF
- Can I claim UIF online?
- Check UIF Status
- What is the maximum UIF payment?
- When can you claim UIF?
- Can I claim UIF if I resigned?
- Who must pay UIF?
- How long does UIF take to pay out after signing?
- Does UIF pay lump sum?
- Do directors pay UIF?
- Why is my UIF claim rejected?
- Can I claim UIF if I retire South Africa?
- Are you allowed to resign with immediate effect?
- Can I claim UIF if my husband died?
- How much UIF will I receive?
- Is UIF taxable?
- Is UIF calculated on gross or basic salary?
- How long does maternity benefit take to process?
- How many months does UIF pay for maternity leave?
- How is UIF calculated?
- What happens to my UIF contributions if I resign?
- What forms are needed to claim UIF?
- How do I register for UIF?
- What is the retirement age in South Africa?
- Does UIF expire?
- Is UIF calculated before or after tax?
- Is UIF paid on overtime?
- Does bonus have UIF?
- When should I apply for maternity pay?
- How does maternity leave pay work?
- Can I claim UIF after 2 years?