To reserve a company name with the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC) in South Africa, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the CIPC website: Go to the CIPC website at www.cipc.co.za. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection.
- Register and log in: If you haven’t registered on the CIPC website before, you’ll need to create an account. Click on the “Customer Registration” button and provide the required information. Once registered, log in to your account.
- Access the Online Transacting menu: After logging in, access the “Online Transacting” menu. This menu allows you to perform various transactions with CIPC.
- Reserve a name: In the Online Transacting menu, select the option to “Reserve a Name.” This will open the name reservation form.
- Fill in the name reservation form: Provide the necessary details in the name reservation form. You will need to enter the proposed company name, along with the required supporting information. Make sure the name adheres to the CIPC’s naming conventions and availability requirements.
- Pay the fee: There is a fee associated with reserving a name. You will need to make the payment online using the provided payment methods. The current fee amount can be found on the CIPC website.
- Submit the reservation: Once you have filled in the form and made the payment, review the information for accuracy. Click on the “Submit” or “Reserve Name” button to submit the reservation request.
- Await confirmation: After submitting the reservation, you will receive an email from CIPC confirming whether your name reservation was successful or not. If approved, you will receive a name reservation number.
It’s important to note that a name reservation is valid for a limited period (usually six months), and it does not automatically register the company. You will need to proceed with the company registration process separately within the validity period of the name reservation.
For any specific queries or further assistance, it is advisable to contact the CIPC directly or consult their website for the most up-to-date information and guidelines.