How to report police misconduct to SAPS in South Africa

To report police misconduct to the South African Police Service (SAPS), you can follow these steps:

  1. Gather evidence: Collect any evidence related to the misconduct, such as photographs, videos, audio recordings, or any other documentation that supports your complaint. Eyewitness testimonies can also be valuable.
  2. Identify the appropriate authority: Determine which unit or division within the SAPS is responsible for handling complaints against police officers. In South Africa, the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) is responsible for investigating complaints against the police.
  3. Contact IPID: You can report police misconduct to IPID through various means:

    a. Online: Visit the IPID website ( and look for the complaint submission section. Fill out the necessary details and provide a clear and concise account of the incident.

    b. Phone: Call the IPID hotline at 0800 111 969 (toll-free). Explain your situation and request guidance on filing a complaint.

    c. In person: Visit the nearest IPID office or police station and inquire about the procedure for reporting police misconduct. Ask for the relevant complaint forms and any supporting documents you may need.

  4. Provide detailed information: When submitting your complaint, be as detailed as possible. Include the date, time, and location of the incident, the names or badge numbers of the officers involved, and a clear description of the misconduct. Provide any supporting evidence you have gathered.
  5. Protect your identity: If you fear retaliation or prefer to remain anonymous, inform IPID about your concerns. They may have procedures in place to protect your identity.
  6. Follow up on your complaint: Keep a record of the complaint reference number provided by IPID. It will help you track the progress of your case. Follow up with IPID periodically to inquire about the status of the investigation.
  7. Seek legal advice: If you believe that your complaint is not adequately addressed by IPID or if you are unsatisfied with the outcome, consider seeking legal advice. A lawyer experienced in police misconduct cases can provide guidance on further steps you can take.

Remember, it is crucial to report police misconduct to ensure accountability and maintain the integrity of the police force.