1. meat, about 1/2 pound - any protein will do. We used tuna but I want to try browned breakfast sausage the next time I make this. Mm.... sausage. I also plan to use my leftover turkey meat with this recipe. What is your favorite meat?
2. chopped onion
3. chopped green pepper
4. salt and pepper
You can get creative in what you want to add.
Use precooked meat or cook it yourself before adding the other ingredients and filling the pie crusts.
The crust has a nice flavor to it.
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
sprinkle black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
approximately 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
1/2 cup of milk - add more as needed until the mixture is rollable
1. First mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl then stir in the milk.
2. Roll the pie dough flat.
3. Cut out a circle. You can use a soup bowl as a template.
4. Add your filling and fold the crust over and pinch it shut. You can add a little water to the edge to help it seal if the crust won't stay closed.
- Brush with evaporated milk. This causes it to brown while baking. Because you use so little evaporated milk, I was thinking about trying to brush on egg white which would actually give your meat pie a little shine.
- Place your half moon-shaped pies on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees until brown. Important: You should also poke the tops of the pies with a toothpick or fork before baking. Enjoy!
Okay! Now that I have meat pies on the mind, I think I'll be making them for lunch today!